Adjustment of Status (Green Card)

Adjustment of Status (Green Card):

Adjustment of Status is the process by which foreign nationals are granted a permanent status in the United States with the ability to work and travel without many of the restrictions they encountered as non-immigrant visa holders or as foreign nationals without status.  Adjustment of status is limited to only a few categories of foreign nationals including certain relatives of current permanent residents or United States citizens, individuals who filed a successful Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) petition, refugees, asylees, or individuals who were granted cancellation of removal by an Immigration Judge.

When a foreign national is granted adjustment of status by USCIS (immigration) his/her status changes to that of “United States Resident”.  A resident receives an identification card, also known as a “green card”, as evidence of their status.  With adjustment of status, a resident is able to legally work in the United States, own property, travel internationally, and obtain other vital services reserved for individuals with lawful immigration status.

While adjustment of status comes with many benefits for the applicant, the process tends to be complicated and intimidating for those involved.  Beyond the adjustment of status application, applicants usually have to file a relative petition application, employment authorization application, affidavit of support application, and numerous forms of supporting documentation.  Due to the complicated nature of an adjustment of status request it is important that you contact an experienced immigration attorney to walk you through the process and assess the possibility of any potential dangers associated with your filing.  If you have questions or would like to begin the adjustment of status application process, feel free to contact Shryock Law Firm, LLC to schedule a consultation.